Steve in Beirut

September 28, 2006

Sonia's Story.

This is Sonia.

I spoke about her in my post of September 25th. It's taken me until now to make a little edited version of my interview with her, conducted in her family flat after the 'Victory Celebration' in Dahieh.

The photograph 'Targeted Apartment Block', in the post below, was taken from her balcony that night too.

In fact, it was the bomb that took down this 13 story block of flats onto the supermarket below that caused all the damage to her own dwelling. She talks about this on the video.

You will hear other voices on the tape. I think they are mainly her mum talking to Hanane in the background. And you can also see her dad in the corridor, at one point, I believe, showing Hanane the damage the bomb caused.

Sonia was at pains to tell me that they still hadn't got the place fully right. The yellow colour of the door jamb, she explained, is only the undercoat! It won't be staying that colour!

The only other thing to say that the whole flat was lit by a couple of low wattage neon strips hung at strategic points around the flat. Once again, a result of the bombing. They were still lacking a lot of their electrics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home