Steve in Beirut

September 21, 2006

2nd Workshop and Morning in Dahieh

Second workshop last night went well. More people. And some new faces! Word is getting round. Also nice to see some of those who were tentative last night throwing themselves in more. We do trust stuff. Contact improvisation. Mirror work. And considering these are supposed to be people who are supposed to 'find it difficult to physicalise or touch', they take to it like a duck to water. Men and women.

But this morning to the school with Andrea, Jed and the rest of the gang to help them set up their music and shadow puppet making workshops and then I'm off round the locality with my camera.

And there are some big holes round town. One - it must be the size of the WTC - surrounded by flats with two diggers bringing out the last of the rubble and twisted steel.

I talk to 4 guys who are sitting watching on plastic chairs. One speaks English. It turns out he's hired the diggers. He talks about Blair, Bush. I tell him I'm no friend. He tells me that this is all Hezbollah here. I say I don't doubt it. I ask him if he's coming to the 'Celebration of Victory' tomorrow. He says yes.

Apparently at 4 there's a big rally in the area and Nazrullah's going perhaps to speak.

I walk around some more. Amazing. A huge 'prayer building' that they won't let me photograph, the size of a mega-IKEA, with all it's walls blown in, the corrogated roof resting on twisted steel girders. It was unfortunate enough to be next to some ohter building that did get hit. Elsewhere the top halves of flats with their roofs and balconies twisted and pancaked hanging over the public street like a frozen cake half collapsed.

And then just ordinary shops selling computers and childrens's clothes. This is not a poor area like the palestinian camp up the road. PHOTOS TO FOLLOW

3 Comments:

At 4:05 pm, Blogger orlaloa said...

steve you're writting quicker than your shadow... i can't follow.

 
At 4:07 pm, Blogger orlaloa said...

i had a shock : dis you suppress one of my commnet ??? i'm not writting any more !!!

 
At 1:19 pm, Blogger Steve said...

dear raf

I don't know what happened here. I will check it out. I certainly didn't delete anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home